|5th January 2013
Cowes, Isle of Wight: The Island Sailing Club opened its entries for the 82nd J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race at 12.01 a.m. Friday morning (4th Jan) and can confirm that the first entry to be approved and processed was Redshank, a Devon-based 30 year-old Evolution 26, owned and raced by Stuart Palmer , 47, from Teignmouth in Devon.
Stuart, who is self-employed, married and with two young children, is entering the Race for the first time but has two crew members who have competed before. Julian Weyer Brown won the family class with his yacht Coral of Teignmouth in 2006 and Mathew Owen competed and finished last year helming Moon-Stream.
“We race at our home club and at the Torbay Regatta but the Round the Island Race is the biggest event for us to compete in. Even the delivery trip from Devon is a big adventure!” said Stuart. “During 2012 we achieved 2nd in the Cruiser Class at Torbay Week and won ‘Fleet 2’ at our local club, Teign Corinthian Yacht Club. We consider these very good results given the age of the boat and third-hand sails!”
Early bird entries remain open until midnight on Feb 2nd when standard entry fees then apply through to midnight on May 11th. Final entry numbers for this year’s Race, taking place on Saturday 1st June, are expected to be in the region of 1,700 with around 16,000 sailors competing across this massive fleet.
Enter here: http://rtir.me/entries
Competitors enter from around the world to race the 50 nautical miles from the famous Royal Yacht Squadron line in Cowes, Isle of Wight. The massive fleet heads west to the Needles, often flying their colourful spinnakers, and everyone finishes back in Cowes. The majority of the fleet will take many hours to complete the Race however, there will be teams challenging the existing course records. These still stand at:
Rod Nicholls, the Commodore of the Island Sailing Club and Principal Race Officer for the 2013 J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race, extends his good wishes to all previous and new competitors and to all the Race followers around the world.
“The Race Management Team takes this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year as we look forward to another memorable and successful Race day on 1st June.”
This year, organisers have combined with Race Partners to run a free-to-enter prize draw for the duration of the Tullett Prebon London Boat Show (Jan 12th- 20th). The draw can be entered every day on the Henri Lloyd stand A112 and there is a range of fabulous prizes to win, including:
- 50,392 hits
prpeta on A Southern Expedition claims ‘… Sarah Wolf on A Southern Expedition claims ‘… Tweets that mention… on Calypso: A family affair &… IDESS on Editorial coverage – sec… Di on Editorial coverage – sec…
- Royal Southern Yacht Club unveils new Champion of Champions Trophy sponsored by Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc.
- Bart’s Bash put the FUN into fundraising as organisers hail this year’s event a resounding hit
- First 2K Team Racing event is a success
- CHAMPIONING YOUR CLUB
- The Royal Southern Yacht Club celebrates an outstanding year
- @sailaiduk Such a good feeling to actually start channelling the funds. 42 minutes ago
- RT @sailaiduk: Great news tonight in that we’re finally able to announce the awarding of our first three SAUK grants. https://t.co/tVQu3gAs… 1 hour ago
- My week on Twitter 🎉: 4 Mentions, 1.73K Mention Reach, 32 Likes, 15 Retweets, 20.9K Retweet Reach. See yours with… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- RT @yachtingmonthly: Ever experienced fishing gear entanglement? Sailors have until 12 March to sign the @Cruising_Assoc petition calling f… 5 hours ago
- RT @sailaiduk: A few kind offers of support for handling our SAUK t-shirts in Antigua thanks all - we think we’re sorted through the ASW Di… 6 hours ago
- How refreshing to read such a positive news piece & to have helped some Oyster personnel with new jobs into the bar… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Polina Star 111 could sink Oyster marineindustrynews.co.uk/polina-star-si… via @marineindnews 2 days ago
- I loathe and detest those adverts, especially the ones suggesting we should all be protecting our families by takin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- If you can help us out with this, please get in touch via email ASAP. Thanks so much. I'm trying to find out how ma… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Lovely motivational words from @AinslieBen twitter.com/Ocean_Brothers… 2 days ago