Media Enquiries: Peta Stuart-Hunt
T: 01590 679621 or M: 07711 477707
HMSTV Challenger (Army), skippered by Tony Houghton, TA, HMSTV Discoverer (RAF), skippered by Jules Yeardley and HMSTV Adventure (Navy), skippered by Phil Brown have all crossed safely through the finish gate at the end of Leg 2 in Rio de Janeiro after a voyage of 3,600 nm during which they suffered minor gear and communication problems.
The Exercise TRANSGLOBE teams were very close together throughout the passage and the skippers decided to provide mutual support. As such, the three yachts passed the finish line together and have shared line and position honours.
The most inconvenient of their passage problems was the failure of the generator on Adventure so the water maker couldn’t be used for the last eight days of the passage. The crew will really appreciate disembarking and getting hot showers.
The Navy, Army and Royal Air Force teams have worked really hard to complete this 3,600nm crossing on schedule. It is the stage that also saw the crossing of the Equator and all the celebrations and gunk that King Neptune could throw at them. Everyone back at base is looking forward to seeing those pictures! Naturally enough there is plenty of inter-service rivalry between the crews but by completing the passage ‘in company’ they have been able to rely on the close support of each other when times have been tough.
Clive Cooper from the Gosport-based TRANSGLOBE Project Team is waiting at the Marina del Gloria in Rio to welcome the crews into port and attend to all the maintenance requirements along with the local agent Duncan Frew. The crews have a few days to relax after 21 days at sea and will then prepare the yachts for handover to the Leg 3 crews who are meeting at HQ in Gosport this Friday for briefings and kitting-out, ready for their flight to Rio on Saturday 29th August. The returning Leg 2 crews will arrive back in the UK on Sunday 30th August.
Next stop Cape Town
The three 67ft-steel hulled yachts, originally built for Sir Chay Blyth’s British Steel Challenge, will depart Rio de Janeiro on September 1st with new skippers and crews on board to tackle the 3,270nm Leg 3 to Cape Town.
The 13-leg Exercise TRANSGLOBE is a major Tri-Service Adventurous Sail Training Exercise open to all UK service personnel, Regular and Reserve. The aim of this year-long exercise, the largest ever to take place, is to develop the personal qualities essential to Regular and Reserve members of HM Forces through adventurous sail training in a Service environment. Over 500 service personnel will experience the extremes of ocean crossings from the heat of the Tropics to the extreme cold of the Southern Ocean. TRANSGLOBE will test their physical and mental stamina whilst building confidence in themselves and their fellow crew members.
Tracking and position reports as well as more details about Exercise TRANSGLOBE are on the official website at:
- 49,276 hits
prpeta on A Southern Expedition claims ‘… Sarah Wolf on A Southern Expedition claims ‘… Tweets that mention… on Calypso: A family affair &… IDESS on Editorial coverage – sec… Di on Editorial coverage – sec…
- Royal Southern Yacht Club unveils new Champion of Champions Trophy sponsored by Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc.
- Bart’s Bash put the FUN into fundraising as organisers hail this year’s event a resounding hit
- First 2K Team Racing event is a success
- CHAMPIONING YOUR CLUB
- The Royal Southern Yacht Club celebrates an outstanding year
- RT @AndrewSimpsonFo: A mind & body workout! How terrific is that! twitter.com/speedsixcarbon… 2 hours ago
- RT @RacingCM: @AndrewSimpsonFo Freedom but a challenge! It allows you to ignore all the land-based distractions and focus on flying (in the… 2 hours ago
- RT @JonathanCookUK: Yacht Havens Ltd announce major Wi-Fi infrastructure upgrades to their free customer Wi-Fi networks https://t.co/t5Oq0t… 12 hours ago
- RT @AndrewSimpsonFo: We're so looking forward to welcoming clubs & individuals who join up & support @BartsBash. Many opportunities. #bart… 13 hours ago
- RT @SunsailEvents: Salesforce Regatta Pontoon Party #Salesforce #SalesforceRegatta #sailing #pontoonparties https://t.co/ZaAZDLR2b2 16 hours ago
- Good for you but rather extraordinary! If only I sailed I could be a nautical scribe too! 🖋⛵️✒️🗒 twitter.com/sailorgirlhq/s… 16 hours ago
- RT @LandRoverBAR: Tune into @BBCSouthToday at 1830 🇬🇧 with @TonyHusbandBBC as he speaks to some of the Land Rover BAR Academy Team about th… 20 hours ago
- RT @MCA_media: Coastguard safety plea for coming weekend after 68 children reported missing last weekend #allsafe #999Coastguard https://t.… 21 hours ago
- RT @eco_boy: tregothnan.co.uk #tregothnan #icedtea #craftcocktail #earlgrey #summer #developmentchef #Teaontherocks https://t.co/Rxi… 1 day ago
- Aw, bless! twitter.com/jenac2/status/… 1 day ago