Issued by: Peta Stuart-Hunt | 23rd July 2009
COWES RADIO STRUTS ITS STUFF AT COWES WEEK
All the familiar voices and sounds emanating from the heart of the regatta will be back on air, this year previewing the event from the 31st July right through Cowes Week and up to and including a preview, interviews and the live starting sequence for the Rolex Fastnet Race on Sunday 9th August.
Streamed on the internet around the world at http://www.cowesradio.co.uk <http://www.cowesradio.co.uk> and listened to by many thousands of competitors and spectators attending Cowes Week through speakers on Cowes Parade, the Green and through personal earpieces on the boats, the reporting and programme content provides an eclectic mix of regatta highlights, interviews and entertainment with more crucial information for competitors, including the dedicated and detailed local weather reports, tide times and the all-important race results being broadcast.
Of the many highlights throughout the day, there is nothing quite like listening in to the live, on-water commentary on all the sailing action with minute-by-minute information ‘fed’ to competitors from a fully instrumented commentary boat and a privileged position on the Royal Yacht Squadron platform.
Station Director, Steve Ancsell, always looks forward to Cowes Week, saying that despite the very long hours the team puts in, it really is worth it when you get emails in from around the world from people listening online from somewhere in the back of beyond. “When anyone first tunes in and hears the familiar voices of Dick Johnson on the commentary boat and Simon Vigar on the Platform, somehow they feel the regatta has really started for them, wherever they may be!”
In a new initiative this year, Cowes Radio is also providing the live commentary for the UK round of the iShares Cup being held during Cowes Week from 1st-3rd August along the shoreline off the Green and Egypt Point for maximum spectator impact.
A host of sponsors and station supporters are on board again this year to help make the station really swing. For the full programme schedule please visit http://www.cowesradio.co.uk/.
Official Cowes Week event website: http://www.cowesweek.co.uk.
Notes to Editors:
- The Cowes Radio team includes: Steve Ancsell (Station Director); Cheryl Buggy (Station Manager – Express FM); Chris Carnegy (Managing Editor of BBC Radio Solent); Dick Johnson (on-the-water commentator/Musto UK); Roger Price (High Peak Radio); Chris Tibbs (renowned Meteorologist); Russ Tollerfield (Technical); Simon Vigar (Squadron Platform presenter /Channel 5 TV News Presenter) and Clarissa of Cowes (mystery socialite).
- The Breakfast Show with Roger Price sponsored by Nanny Cay
- Race Courses sponsored by Horizon Yacht Charters
- Commentary Boat sponsored by Raymarine
- Cowes Radio results updates sponsored by eDigital Research
- Regatta Report is sponsored by OnDeck
- Mount Gay Rum Competitions
- Additional support from:
Peta Stuart-Hunt | PR Works
T: 44 (0) 1590 679 621
M: 44 (0) 7711 477 707